What is a good KDE based web development environment

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:42:56 -0700

On Jan 3,  9:24pm, sinck@ugive.com wrote:

> \_ Speaking of that. Anyone know of a macro or whatever for any of the vi
> \_ clones that will work with files over ftp? Better yet, know of one that
> \_ will work over ssh?
>
> The answer for emacs is apparently 'TRAMP' by Kai (ref'd by varjag on
> #sawfish) good hits in RPM land and prolly rpmfinds ok.  It may or may
> not be portable to vi or have links thereto....

Here's a link...

  http://ls6-www.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/~grossjoh/emacs/tramp.html

It does look interesting, but it is implemented in elisp so it is
unlikely to be easily portable to any of the vi clones.  I need to
edit files remotely from time to time and may look at implementing
something similar to ``tramp'' for vile (see http://vile.cx).

The way I handle this situation at the moment is to use a double
rsync to synchonize a copy of the files on a local machine with
that on the remote.  This mechanism gives me fast access to the
files for intensive editing, but also (due to the second rsync)
allows me to edit the remote copies too.  So long as some care
is taken, everything stays in sync.  I've posted the script that
I use to do the double rsync to this list in the past.  See

  http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/pipermail/plug-discuss/2000-September/006095.html

Kevin