ISP recommendation

RustyC root rustyc@descomp.com
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 00:09:47 -0700 (MST)

> moin, moin,
>
> apparently PSN.net is kicking dialup customers off. Their web page says
> they're 'transition'ing customers to other ISPs, but one member of PLUG
> can't dialup and get his mail. Luckily his mail gets stored elsewhere, so
> at least it's there for him to get. Braodband isn't an option where he
> lives.
>
> I haven't used a modem in a few years. Anybody have an ISP to recommend? I
> think having services in .tx.us would be good for this guy as well.

I currently use Inficad, and they are passable.  Dumb sometimes, but
passable.  (hey, tell em I recommended them and I get a $10 credit, yea
rah ;-)

I don't know if speakeasy.net does dialup, but they looked like a good
DSL ISP - at least their rules on what  services you could run on your
computer were  reasonable!  (Most DSL 'providers' explicitly disallow
ANY services on your machines! Bad news for me, I want to run a mail
server (Postfix), ssh server, and http (which will probably just redirect
to my actual server, just to limit bandwidth used to my local machine)...

Anyway, I hear that Bang, who started neta.com and then sold it to
someone, is  starting again.  I think his email is jeff@bang.com or
maybe bang.net - if those bounce email me and I'll get it right...

I'd stay away from the ISPs listed in the antispam lists as easy
prey for spammers (i.e. they make it way too easy for spammers to
get an account to spam from), as you'd likely get caught in the
antispam teergrubes...

Steve, at work, says that sprint broadband has just pulled a stunt
that puts them in the idiot category - they sent an email out
(apparently to everyone) saying that they had information that
showed that the  subscriber in question had a virus on their
system which was affecting others, and you must call or risk
losing your service.  Well, since he runs a firewall in front
of a Mac and a linux box, he was quite put off by it, especially
when he called in and they had no clue - they just wanted to ask
questions about  what people were doing!  He  told me he'd  posted
something about it to a newsgroup here in phx somewhere...
('course, sprint broadband is not dialup, but I thought i'd
throw that in for the broadband-seeking folks ;-)

Well, enough for now...

rusty (posting from my root account, sorry! ;-)
rustyc@descomp.com