DNS & BIND book question

Michael Sheldon msheldon@desertraven.com
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 23:43:54 -0700

Well, there are really big differences in the config file for bind 4.x and
bind 8.x
Zone files for the most part have remained the same.

So, if you can get by with man pages, etc... The 2nd edition book is not
useless.

Bind 9.x is starting to make it's way into production, and is a major
re-work. I haven't cracked it open yet, so I don't know how much has changed
in the config file and zone files, but I suspect we will be seeing a fourth
edition book soon.

Michael J. Sheldon
http://www.desertraven.com/
Make a fast friend, adopt a greyhound!

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of David
P. Schwartz
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2001 22:50
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: DNS & BIND book question

I just picked up an O'Reilly book on "DNS & BIND" 2nd ed., which covers BIND
4.3.x and 4.9.x, but it predates BIND 8.  It was only $14 at Fry's, and I
figured that most of the theoretical info in it is still current, but that
the
config file info is outdated since the file formats have changed.  Does
anybody familiar enough with the diffs between BIND 4.9 and BIND 8 have any
suggestions on anything significant to ignore or pick up elsewhere?  Or
should
I just return the book?

-David Schwartz