because I am not above asking...

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 10:43:28 -0700

As long as you are not moving the passwords, yes.  It seems the
passwords are dependent upon position (based on experience where
I tried to delete a user using vi on /etc/passwd, and every user
after that position could no longer log in; I restored that user and
all of the others could log in again).

George