php crypt function

David P. Schwartz davids@desertigloo.com
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 21:10:46 -0700

sinck@ugive.com wrote:

> \_ What I'm trying to accomplish is getting a unique hash from a
> \_ string up to 60 characters in length, where the resulting hash is
> \_ between 10 and 15 characters long.  Given the same key, I need to
> \_ be able to derive the same hash, but I want a reasonably low
> \_ probablilty of collisions over a large (10**6) sampling
>
> \_ (eg., email addresses are unique per user,
> That's a nice thought but won't hold water always.
>
> \_ so a hash that includes their email
> \_ address is useful as a seed).  md5 hashes are too long for my
> \_ needs.  Any ideas on what might work are welcome.
> Can you change your needs to accept md5 hashes?  The magic of hashing
> has lots of CS literature...perfect for reading throughout the next
> millineum.  :-)

I need something I can use in a URL link.

http://www.myserver.com/phpscript.php?arg1=lkjlkjlkjlkjlkjlkjsdfsdfsdfsdfsdfsdf&arg2=LKJLKJLKJLKJLKJLKJSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDF

How does it look?  Some browsers truncate long URLs, some stretch them out so they're still valid if you click on them.  Most users are
too stupid to notice if they're wrapped and they need to copy and paste into a browser window.  Given the random nature of characters in
the hash, it's impractical to ask them to type them in by hand.

Any suggestions?

> \_ -David (the other one)
> aaaaaa two of us!  I knew I should have stayed away from the cloning
> lab photocopier.

Is that YOUR face I see when the bathroom mirror is all steamed up? :-)