network access

William.Roberts@revlon.com William.Roberts@revlon.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:31:58 -0700

the hosts.deny file has all comment  lines in it.

Bill

"Rick Russell" <info@idatasys.com> on 02/26/2001 04:24:08 PM

Please respond to plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us

To:   plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
cc:    (bcc: William Roberts/IS/PHOENIX/REVLON)

Subject:  RE: network access

Mandrake 7.2 on the secure install denies access to the inet services.  You
need to edit the hosts.deny file in the /etc directory to enable access.

Rick
iDataSys.com

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of
William.Roberts@revlon.com
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 3:40 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: network access

I recently upgraded my linux box to Mandrake 7.2.  I can't seem to get ftp
or
telnet access setup for any user.

The 7.1 version had it mostly setup out of the box so to speak.

xinetd.conf

#
# simple configuration file for xinetd
#
# Some defaults, and include /etc/xinetd.d/

defaults
{
     instances      =    60
     log_type       =    SYSLOG authpriv
     log_on_success =    HOST PID
     log_on_failure      =    HOST RECORD
}

{
service ftp
     flags               =    REUSE NAMEINARGS
     socket_type         =    stream
     protocol       =    tcp
     wait           =    no
     user           =    root roberwi2
     server              =    /usr/libexec/ftpd
     server_args         =    ftpd -1
     only_from      =    169.205.134.0
}

{
service telnet
     flags               =    REUSE NAMEINARGS
     socket_type         =    tcp
     protocol       =    tcp
     wait           =    no
     user           =    root roberwi2
     server              =    /usr/libexec/telnetd
     server_args         =    telnetd
     only_from      =    169.205.134.0
}

includedir /etc/xinetd.d

hosts.conf

order dns,host,bind
multi on

hosts.allow

#
#hosts.allow       This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#                              allowed to use the local INET services, as
decided
#                              by the /usr/sbin/tcpd server
#
#
ALL: LOCAL
ALL: .revlon.com

Nothing in hosts.deny.

This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain
information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that  any dissemination of this
communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
please
erase all copies of the message and its attachments and notify us
immediately.
Thank You.