Backups (was: Firewall)

Shawn T. Rutledge ecloud@bigfoot.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 00:15:11 -0700

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 09:47:16PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Not that cheap, but look at ecrix. Good tape drives, for cheap considering

Yikes.  Even the tape cartridges aren't cheap.  You could buy quite a
pile of 30-gig hard drives for the cost of the tape drive plus the same
number of tapes.  Tape tech. has always had a hard time staying
competitive, IMO; especially for home users.

Incremental backup to CDRs makes a lot of sense; too bad the software
to do it would be kindof complex, as would the restore procedure.

What I'd really like is a distributed FS, aggregating free space on all
of the machines on the network, and simultaneously guaranteeing 2-3x
redundancy of the data.  Maybe the result would even be faster, because
several disks are seeking at once, just like with RAID.  Then, just
manually back up important data once in a while as an extra failsafe.
I would probably only use such a filesystem for /home, because all the
irreplaceable data is there, and applications can be re-installed.
Maybe also for /usr/local, for the apps I spend a lot of time compiling
instead of just doing apt-get.

Can coda do such tricks?

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com