Ping but not able to ftp or telnet

Sundar Narayanasamy sundar4unix@excite.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:48:52 -0800 (PST)

I did not have the package inetd-0.16-4 installed by default. So, I went
ahead and installed it. Now I see inet.conf file under /etc.

But, now when I ftp, following is the output; better than nothing before.

Connected to 192.168.0.3
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

Sundar

On Wed, 23 Feb 1994 22:26:14 +0700, tjones@inficad.com wrote:

>  On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, you wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  > I created the file /etc/inetd.conf with just 2 following lines
>  > ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
>  > telnet stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd
>  >
>  > and when I gave killall -HUP inetd, the system output was
>  > inetd: no process killed
>  >
>  > So, I restarted the system, just in case.
>  >
>  > It still doesn't work.
>  > Sundar
>  >
>  >
>  >

>  Couple of things.
>
>  1. make sure you have the inetd package installed.  Should be
inetd-0.16-4 if
>  this is a fresh install.  Command is: rpm -q inetd  If you don't, install
it
>  from the distribution CD that you hopefully have, or download and install
>  it.
>
>  2. When sending a signal to a process, it usually done by the process
number,
>  not its name.  if you run ps -ef | grep init (for example), you will see
that
>  init's process ID number is 1 and it's parent process is 0.  If you grep
for
>  inetd, you'll get its prcoess ID (PID) and you can then send the signal
with
>  the command kill -1 PID (where PID is the number displayed as a result of
the
>  ps command).  If you want to be really tricky, you could just send the
restart
>  comand without knowing the PID with the following command:
>
>  ps -ef | grep inetd | awk '{print $2}' | xargs kill -1
>
>  Works for lots of other processes, just drop thier name in in place of
inetd.

>  TJ

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/