Access of special characters

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 18:11:26 -0700 (MST)

Am 25. Feb, 2001 schwäzte Robert N. Eaton so:

> I would like to call up and print on screen some of the iso 8859-1
> characters, i.e. the eth, thorn, the digraph ae, etc.  To do that in
> windows I could have gone to the character map and pointed and clicked,
> or I could have used the numlock, alt+0208 for the cap eth, and so on.
>
> I have looked up charmaps, man ascii, man iso_8859_X, etc, and I still
> have no idea how to set about doing it in Linux.  KDE Help gave me tons
> of reading on related subjects, but I didn't find anything exactly to
> the point.

I used alt-<key> to hit German stuff, e.g. alt-f gave me a dotted-a ( ä )
and alt-v gave me a dotted-o ( ö ), but I lost that keymapping in an
upgrade. Haven't taken the time to fix it. I think it's in the kbd
package.

It worked for me on the console as well as in X.

Something about using the dead-keys, I believe.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
# I chose to use the kernel sources as my documentation.  ;-) -- Kevin Buettner