Ping but not able to ftp or telnet

Eric Thelin eric@arachnomania.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:32:00 -0700 (MST)

I would expect the problem to be one of the following:

1) inetd isn't running

Test with:
sh$ ps aux|grep inetd
Output should contain a line like:
root       601  0.0  0.0  1056    0 ?        SW   Feb21   0:00 [inetd]

2) /etc/inetd.conf file isn't configured to run ftpd or telnet

Test with:
sh$ grep ftpd /etc/inetd.conf
Output should contain a line like:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
Make sure the line isn't commented out with a '#' as the first character
Telnet is a similar test

3) /etc/hosts.deny disallows all access and /etc/hosts.allow doesn't
allow access from the ip/port configuration you are using

Test with:
grep ALL /etc/hosts.allow
For the simplest solution (not the most secure) the previous command
should have no output or the line should start with a '#'

If none of these point you to the problem post more information and I am
sure either I or someone else can help you more.  If you are still lost
then let us know and someone can go into more details about each of these.

Eric

--
Eric Thelin                                          erict@aztechbiz.com
           AZtechBiz.com: Where Arizona Does Tech Business