Solaris NIS Client Woes..

Steven M. Klass sklass@andigilog.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 06:54:18 -0700

Hi All,

I have a Solaris NIS Client that is trying to talk to a Linux NIS
Server.  The NIS Server (Redhat 7) work fine with all other Linux NIS
clients (Slack / Deb etc) but won't work completely with Solaris.  What do
I mean?  I have ypbind working on the Solaris.  I can "ypcat passwd" and
get what you would expect - an NIS list of all users passwd groups yada
yada.  So NIS is sorta working.  The problem is that I can't login.  The
nsswitch.conf has the following (among other stuff)
         passwd: files nis
         group: files nis

It is said that this has to do with mangling.  I have that set to no.  When
I do ypcat passwd I get a "username:cryptic_codes:yada..." not x.

My ypserv.conf has the following
<snip>
         dns: no
         mangle: no
         *                        : shadow.byname    : port       : yes
         *                        : passwd.adjunct.byname : port  : yes
         *                                : *                : none
<snip>

Does anyone have any ideas.  There are several emails up at google
(formerly deja) where people have dealt with this, but no solutions were
posted..

Thanks

Steven M. Klass
Physical Design Engineering Manager