Ping but not able to ftp or telnet

Sundar Narayanasamy sundar4unix@excite.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:07:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I created the file /etc/inetd.conf with just 2 following lines
ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
telnet stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

and when I gave killall -HUP inetd, the system output was
inetd: no process killed

So, I restarted the system, just in case.

It still doesn't work.
Sundar

On Tue, 22 Feb 1994 21:47:08 +0700, tjones@inficad.com wrote:

> [...]
>
>  #
>  # inetd.conf    This file describes the services that will be available
>  #               through the INETD TCP/IP super server.  To re-configure
>  #               the running INETD process, edit this file, then send the
>  #               INETD process a SIGHUP signal.
>  #
>  # Version:      @(#)/etc/inetd.conf     3.10    05/27/93
>  #
>  # Authors:      Original taken from BSD UNIX 4.3/TAHOE.
>  #               Fred N. van Kempen, <waltje@uwalt.nl.mugnet.org>
>  #
>  # Modified for Debian Linux by Ian A. Murdock <imurdock@shell.portal.com>
>  #
>  # Modified for RHS Linux by Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com>
>  #
>  #
>  # Echo, discard, daytime, and chargen are used primarily for testing.
>  #
>  # To re-read this file after changes, just do a 'killall -HUP inetd'
>  #
>  #echo   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
>  #echo   dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
>  #discard        stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
>  #discard        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
>  #daytime        stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
>  #daytime        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
>  #chargen        stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
>  #chargen        dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
>  #time   stream  tcp     nowait  root    internal
>  #time   dgram   udp     wait    root    internal
>  #
>  # These are standard services.
>  #
>  ftp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a
>  telnet stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd
>  #
>  # Shell, login, exec, comsat and talk are BSD protocols.
>  #
>  #shell  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.rshd
>  #login  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.rlogind
>  #exec   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.rexecd
>  #comsat dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.comsat
>  $talk   dgram   udp     wait    nobody.tty      /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.talkd
>  #ntalk  dgram   udp     wait    nobody.tty      /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ntalkd
>  #dtalk  stream  tcp     wait    nobody.tty      /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.dtalkd
>  #
>  # Pop and imap mail services et al
>  #
>  #pop-2   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd ipop2d
>  #pop-3   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd ipop3d
>  #imap    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd imapd
>  #
>  # The Internet UUCP service.
>  #
>  #uucp   stream  tcp     nowait  uucp    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/lib/uucp/uucico   -
> [...]
>  # some or all of these services to improve security.
>  #
>  #finger stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.fingerd
>  #cfinger stream tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.cfingerd
>  #systat stream  tcp     nowait  guest   /usr/sbin/tcpd  /bin/ps -auwwx
>  #netstat        stream  tcp     nowait  guest   /usr/sbin/tcpd
/bin/netstat   -f inet
>  #
>  # Authentication
>  #
>  # identd is run standalone now
>  #
>  #auth   stream  tcp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd -e
-o
>  #
>  # End of inetd.conf
>
>  TJ
>
>  On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, you wrote:
>  > For
>  > $ ps aux|grep inetd
>  > my output is:
>  > root       639  0.0  0.7  1360    504 tty1   S  21:44 0:00 grep inetd
>  >
>  > And I do not have inetd.conf file. The lines in other 2 files(deny,
allow)
>  > are commented out.
>  >
>  > Sundar
>  >
>  > On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:33:49 -0700 (MST),
>  > plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us wrote:
>  >
>  > >  I would expect the problem to be one of the following:
>  > >
>  > >  1) inetd isn't running
>  > >
>  > >  Test with:
>  > >  sh$ ps aux|grep inetd
>  > >  Output should contain a line like:
>  > >  root       601  0.0  0.0  1056    0 ?        SW   Feb21   0:00
[inetd]
>  > >
>  > >  2) /etc/inetd.conf file isn't configured to run ftpd or telnet
>  > >
>  > >  Test with:
>  > >  sh$ grep ftpd /etc/inetd.conf
>  > >  Output should contain a line like:
>  > >  ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l
-a
>  > >  Make sure the line isn't commented out with a '#' as the first
character
>  > >  Telnet is a similar test
>  > >
>  > >  3) /etc/hosts.deny disallows all access and /etc/hosts.allow doesn't
>  > >  allow access from the ip/port configuration you are using
>  > >
>  > >  Test with:
>  > >  grep ALL /etc/hosts.allow
>  > >  For the simplest solution (not the most secure) the previous command
>  > >  should have no output or the line should start with a '#'
>  > >
>  > >  If none of these point you to the problem post more information and
I am
>  > >  sure either I or someone else can help you more.  If you are still
lost
>  > >  then let us know and someone can go into more details about each of
>  > these.
>  > >
>  > >  Eric
>  > >
>  > >  On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, jhjk kjhkjhk wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  >
>  > >  > Hello,
>  > >  >
>  > >  > I have a problem with ftp-ing to my linux box. I recently
installed on
>  > one
>  > >  > of my machines RedHat6.2. The other two(Solaris and Windows2000)
>  > machines on
>  > >  > the network can ftp each other with out any problem. And I am able
>  > ftp to
>  > >  > other machines from my Linux box. But when I telnet or ftp to
Linux