Ping but not able to ftp or telnet

Eric Thelin eric@thelin.org
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:55:05 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Sundar Narayanasamy wrote:

> For
> $ ps aux|grep inetd
> my output is:
> root       639  0.0  0.7  1360    504 tty1   S  21:44 0:00 grep inetd

inetd isn't running.  See below.

> And I do not have inetd.conf file. The lines in other 2 files(deny, allow)
> are commented out.

Do you have netkit-base installed?  It is the package that contains
/usr/sbin/inetd and its config file /etc/inetd.conf.  It would seem odd
that it wouldn't be installed because it is very basic and I would
expect all distros to install it.  But either this package isn't
installed or you have deleted the inetd.conf file.  You need to make
sure this is installed, ftp and telnet are enabled and then start inetd
with:

sh# service inet start

Eric