Any ways to speed up linux?

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:04:13 -0700

Hi Rick,

Rick Rosinski wrote:

> George, Thanks alot for your advice.
>
> I just have a couple of questions.
>
> > I suggest ensuring your kernel loads the UDMA-66 driver (SuSE does,
> > RH and Mandrake do not, I don't know about Slack).
>
> Where can I find info on the UDMA-66 driver?  I have customized my Slackware
> system so much now that any default configuration assumptions don't apply
> anymore.  I am am using 7.1 (or what was 7.1 until I upgraded lots of system
> tools and utilities just to get Kernel 4.1 off the ground).

Sorry, I can't find anything.  From what I saw on the 'Net, it is
motherboard chipset specific.  It just happened that SuSE loaded
them and Mandrake did not.

>  > Next, try mounting your partitions so they do not track atime.  I read
>
> would I find this in "man mount"?  Where can I find info about disabling
> "atime"?

man mount.  Option -o noatime:
noatime
Do  not  update  inode  access times on this
file system (e.g, for faster access  on  the
news spool to speed up news servers).