how to detect winmodems?

Larry Schmid Larry Schmid" <larry@penguinnetworking.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 15:23:09 -0700

It has an Intel/Ambient 5631 chipset.  Hmmm.....

From http://developer.intel.com/design/modems/products/md563x.htm

Overview
The Intel® MD563X-HaM V.90 chipset is a leap forward in technology,
performance, and cost savings. This Host Accelerated Modem (HaM) solution
combines and optimizes the best features from software and hardware modems.
It delivers superior performance and is cost competitive with software
modems.

The MD563X-HaM uses the host computer's CPU to replace the modem's
controller, and it does so with minimal degradation in CPU performance.
Since today's CPUs are well equipped....yadda....yadda

Sorry, it looks like a winmodem.  Check out www.linmodems.org.  They may
have a driver if you've got your heart set on this one.

Larry

> I've been looking off and on at callerid compatible modems, and amazon
> is offering a jaton wincommII at $20 or so, which seems like a good
> price...provided it isn't an accursed winmodem.  It seems like it
> isn't, but just grepping for "accursed windmodem" and getting no
> results doesn't tell me that it isn't.   :-)
>
> Would some kind (and preferablly knowledgeable) soul hit

http://db.jaton.com/samples/advanced/search.asp?numperpage=1&images=on&displ
ay=full&category=&searchstr=62210-0PFCAQ&searchfield=itemid