Any ways to speed up linux?

Paul Dickson dickson@primenet.com
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:51:27 -0700 (MST)

About the only thing that might help is setting your motherboard for
"Write-Behind" for the K6 cache (the default is "Write-Through" which
is what's done by Pentiums).  This will give some improvement
especially if you're running code that stays in the CPU's cache.

Perhaps it's time to upgrade to an Athlon or Duron...  The K6 doesn't
have the best FPU.  It falls somewhere between the Pentium and Pentium
Pro family (PPro, PII, and PIII) for clock cycles/FPU instruction.  So
encoding MP3s or anything heavily using the FPU is going to be slow.

FPU-wise, the K6-3 450MHz was slightly slower than my notebook's
300Mhz Pentium II.  A K6-3 475 might have been about equal.  This is
based on running seti@home.

I running Linux on my notebook, a 300Mhz Pentium II.  It doesn't seem
slow to me, but when had to reload RedHat 6.2 last month, I logged
into my file server (a 900MHz Athlon, formerly a K6-3 450MHz, formerly
a K6-2 300MHz :-) and Netscape was damn fast. :-) You must have gotten
the taste for speed from somewhere...

Sorry if I'm coming into this thread in the middle.  I just discovered
today that messages from this mailing list had been disabled for me
(and had been for several months).  Just to confuse things, I would
occasionally receive one or two messages about once a month, so I
thought this list was dead rather the me being turned off.

	-Paul