Any ways to speed up linux?

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 08:31:12 -0700

You failed to mention your CPU.  What seems slow to you?
Actions like starting up Mozilla?  How is your 400M of
RAM being used?  Is it mostly disk cache, or are you running
a large database server?  In general, this is probably not
a good idea (iow you should just let Unix' disk caching
do its thing), but if, for example, you wanted Mozilla to
load faster (and you have plenty of free RAM), you could
create a RAM disk, copy all of the Mozilla stuff to
the RAM disk, and run it from the RAM disk.

Another option if you have a 486 or Pentium* CPU would
be to recompile everything with gcc's -m486 to optimize
the code for a 486 instead of a 386.  I don't know if there's
a similar parameter to optimize for Pentium instead of
486 or 386.

There's a distro (Mandrake, I think) that offers both
i386 and i586 RPMs.  If you have a Pentium*, use the
i586 RPMs.

Else, you could try FreeBSD!  :)