[OT] -- Fry's and other retailers

Vaughn Treude vaughn@nakota-software.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:07:54 -0700

--------------FC4F70B7268280DFC72D90D5

Craig White wrote:

> [...]

I have to agree with Craig on that.  If I'm looking for a good price, I usually order something over the Internet.   Although if there
are good small shops here on the west side, I'd certainly like to start patronizing them.  (I used to be a big fan of Software City,
and was really bummed when they closed.)  I probably go to Fry's out of laziness more than anything else.  The Home Depot analogy that
somebody made earlier was a good one; don't expect to go there and get lots of help.  Luckily, when it comes to electronics, I don't
need help; I generally know what I'm doing, so Fry's isn't a big deal.  Hardware (power tools, etc.), on the other hand, is another
animal for me.   I usually need a friend to act as a "Home Depot consultant."

Also, I agree with the return policy thing.  I've gone through some real hassles with places like "Best Buy" that want to charge you an
enormous restocking fee.  There was a case where another consultant and I had to buy a laptop on short notice for an installation
trip.  The thing didn't work out for us, and not having time to troubleshoot a Windows box, we returned it a few hours later.  They
tried to burn us for several hundred dollars and returned the money the following week only after my colleague complained to several
managers.  So now I try not to buy anything bigger than a CD at Best Buy.  At least I haven't expericence Fry's trying to pull that
kind of crap.

Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software

> For the most part - Fry's pricing is standard retail. The specials can be
> good pricing but their biggest asset is inventory and return policy - not
> pricing.
>
> Craig

*****************
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development

--------------FC4F70B7268280DFC72D90D5

Craig White wrote:
Behalf Of Kevin
they
all the
I have to agree with Craig on that.&nbsp; If I'm looking for a good price,
I usually order something over the Internet.&nbsp;&nbsp; Although if there
are good small shops here on the west side, I'd certainly like to start
patronizing them.&nbsp; (I used to be a big fan of Software City, and was
really bummed when they closed.)&nbsp; I probably go to Fry's out of laziness
more than anything else.&nbsp; The Home Depot analogy that somebody made
earlier was a good one; don't expect to go there and get lots of help.&nbsp;
Luckily, when it comes to electronics, I don't need help; I generally know
what I'm doing, so Fry's isn't a big deal.&nbsp; Hardware (power tools,
etc.), on the other hand, is another animal for me.&nbsp;&nbsp; I usually
need a friend to act as a "Home Depot consultant."
some real hassles with places like "Best Buy" that want to charge you an
enormous restocking fee.&nbsp; There was a case where another consultant
and I had to buy a laptop on short notice for an installation trip.&nbsp;
The thing didn't work out for us, and not having time to troubleshoot a
Windows box, we returned it a few hours later.&nbsp; They tried to burn
us for several hundred dollars and returned the money the following week
only after my colleague complained to several managers.&nbsp; So now I
try not to buy anything bigger than a CD at Best Buy.&nbsp; At least I
haven't expericence Fry's trying to pull that kind of crap.

can be
- not
if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write
mail.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------FC4F70B7268280DFC72D90D5--