NT5 dual boot

topeka@catchen.org topeka@catchen.org
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:56:28 -0700

I use the NT bootloader in combination with LILO to dualboot between NT and
Linux.

It works pretty well.  Here is the process I used:

1) This is the setup I have on my hard drive:
     hda1 -- FAT
     hda2 -- ~15MB Ext2 "/boot"
             (to origianlly get around 1024 cylinders problem)
     hda3 -- NTFS
     hda4 -- Logical Partition
     hda5 -- Ext2, Main Linux partition (first extended partition)
     hda6 -- Swap Space

2) Setup Lilo to boot hda5 and install lilo in the bootsector for hda5.
3) use "dd" to pull that 512K of the front of hda5 and install it where NT
   the NT bootloader can get it:
    dd if=/dev/hda5 bs=512 count=1 of=/winnt/bootsek.lin
   (I have the FAT partition mounted as "/winnt" in my system)

4) Add an entry to the NT Bootloader config file: C:\boot.ini

That should do it!  There is also a HOWTO on this at:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

----julian