[OT] -- Fry's and other retailers

Robert Hendley zen@digitalf.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:15:37 -0700

I agree I will not go to Fry's CompUsa or shop any retail place were I know more than the salesperson helping me as well which leaves me
few choices but I manage never the less and have less stress as a result. It amazes me that so many people shop at big box retailers
these days. Sure I was caught up in the slick marketing with the advent of these companies. I have a story I offten tell which
illistrates my point.
I had a plumbing problem(I'll spare you the details) and need to get either a plumber or at least a plunger right away. So I went down
the street to ACE hardware and bought a plunger. A week later or so I needed some hardware store stuff and went to HOME DEPOT and got
the stuff I needed. While there I happened upon the same plunger (same exact one) and noted the price seem to be higher. Upon getting
home I checked my ACE recipt to find I paid on the order of half at ACE. So I thought maybe it was mis-marked and had some extra time so
I went to ACE with my home depot recipt and picked out exact items when possible and compared. The plunger was not missed marked nor
were several other pieces. In all I would have saved about 2.50 or so from what I recall if I had bought it all from ACE. In addition I
thought about it some more and realized that I recieve little to no help at Home Depot and it takes at least 45 mins to get in and out.
At Ace I am in and out in 5 mins  and get helped instantly and spend about the same. I realize that home depot probly has better
specials then ACE and has more stock for a large projects but to me it is not worth it. So I go to my local hardware store first then
the Big guys. But as a small sucessful electronics store owner I know more than the average consumer about small outfits and how the big
guys operate.