Linux Laptop turnkey

Trent Shipley tshipley@symbio-tech.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:59:37 -0700

Ah.

Well, I'm about to go on extended leave to finish up a degree.  (Not that my
employer knows this yet....)

The idea was to *save* money via Linux.  The target is $1500.

   Hardware-wise I want 500+ MHz, 128Mbytes, & 10+ Gbytes.
      As for the screen . . . I haven't played a computer game in months.

The point is to work on the thesis at home, in the study cubicle, at the
coffee shop.  Thesis, thesis, thesis.  (The thesis is in WordPerfect.)

I could do this with a $1000 system, and maybe I should.

   Unfortunately, I want to use the thing for some hobby projects that
involve Web and more traditional software development -- maybe computer
science classes, maybe some Oracle DB development.  I fear a $1000 system
would have to be retired with the thesis.

----

Now I could, of course, throw Windows _Me_ away and try to configure Linux
by hand.
    However, scrubbing a brand-new 'working' system is galling.
Nevertheless, to be rid of Windows Me I would do it -- but given the
problems people seem to have installing Linux on laptops and my schedule
crunch, now is not the time to spend a week tinkering with installing an OS
and its applications.