[OT] -- Fry's and other retailers

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 13:50:40 -0700 (MST)

Am 10. Feb, 2001 schwäzte Kevin Brown so:

> I know this is off topic, but I was wondering if anyone knew if places like
> Fry's and CompUSA really have any legal right to search your purchases before
> you leave after you have paid for them.

Easiest way to take care of it is to not shop there. Haven't been in Fry's
for quite some time. In addition to accusing me of stealing every time I
leave* CompUSA is überexpensive anyway.

Fry's also pisses me off because as a guy they want me to leave my
backpack at the front door (they often want my helmet left as well and I
told them where to put that request), but women/girls are allowed to bring
in purses large enough to crate off a 21" monitor. It's not like I'm even
limber enough to reach my backpack when it's on my back.

I've also had friends who worked for incredible universe/fry's. One was a
full-timer in the army working there part-time and mentioned that iu was
far more militaristic than the army. I guess things got worse after it
became a fry's.

Unfortunately I do shop at Costco, though I did manage to avoid it for a
few years.

Maybe we should make a list of non-fascist places to purchase geek gear in
the Valley as well as on the net.

ciao,

der.hans

[*] If they need to check my receipt when I leave, they're implying that
I've stolen something. If they'd just setup a decent checkout system, they
wouldn't need to do that, e.g. don't have product displays after the
checkout and more clearly separate people leaving without going through
the checkouts.

--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans