GDB and debugging techniques

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 00:14:18 -0700

On Feb 10,  3:26pm, Stephen Smith wrote:

> are you using the insight version of the gdb debugger from cygwin or Redhat?

At times, yes.  But I do most of my debugging with the command line
version.  I've tried ddd and insight and they're both pretty good, but
years ago, when I first started using gdb, there was no GUI and I
became accustomed to the command line version.  Also, much of my
debugging over the years has been in dynamically generated code
produced by an on-the-fly compiler (first Prolog, and then later Java)
for which there was no readily available corresponding source code, so
these graphical versions which show your location in the source code
were overkill for me.

These days, the program that I most often debug with gdb is gdb!

> Where can we learn more from the master!

(blush)

You are welcome to ask questions to this list -- I think they will be
tolerated so long as the list doesn't become too consumed with gdb
matters.  Also, there are some other more focused lists that one can
ask GDB questions on.  See http://sources.redhat.com/gdb for more
information about these lists.

Kevin