Palm VIIx & Linux

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 17:47:09 -0700

On Feb 8,  5:29pm, Mark R. Myers wrote:

> Next week I am planning on purchasing a new Palm VIIx. This will be to
> replace my PocketPC that my wife is now using.
> I know the PocketPC & Linux were just about mutually exclusive from one
> another.
> I know that there are programs that will allow one to sync their Palm with
> their Linux box, but how do these compare to the software that comes with
> the Palm for Windows? Is it just as easy to install new apps and PQA's using
> Linux as opposed to using Win?
> Though I have some experience with Linux, I have no experience using the
> Palm.
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Using the tools provided with Ximian (nee Helix) Gnome, it is
amazingly easy.

To hot sync your Palm, you simply put it in the cradle and press the
button on the cradle.  To install new software, you just drag the thing
to install from your file manager to the hot sync icon on the tool bar.
(There are several other ways to do it too.)  Anyway, the next time
you hot sync, your files are installed.

There's a little bit of setup involved, but again there's a GUI to
do it, and it isn't too hard.

There are also command line tools and I think KDE has some tools
too.

Kevin