array (hardware) question

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 06:20:01 +0000

Kevin Brown wrote:

> RAID 5 requires a minimum of 3 drives.  You could do software RAID5 with
> partitions, but that would be pointless.  With only two drives you can do either
> RAID 0 (striping) or RAID 1 (mirroring).

Software RAID5 with partitions is ANYTHING but pointless. If your at
all familiar with how bad blocks tend to group up around a particular
defect as a drive ages, RAID5 across partitions represents an ideal
single-drive solution to medium failures. Considering the obscene
number of people in Arizona who seem to feel smoking indoors is not
only a god-given right, but even appropriate ... software RAID 5 might
just come in handy (those drives are vented, believe it or not, thru
filters)

Doesnt do any good if the drive's electronics or mechanics fail,
however.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|