Yamaha CD-RW device drivers

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 20:05:40 -0700

\_ I am very new to Linux and am having problems installing Red Hat Linux
\_ 7.0.  The install process asks what type of media contains the packages
\_ to be installed: local CD-ROM or hard drive.  I selected CD-ROM, and
\_ then it asks if I have a SCSI CD-ROM, or OTHER.  I selected OTHER as my
\_ CD-ROM is a Yamaha CRW8824EZ internal E-IDE CD-RW drive.  It then asks
\_ if I have a driver disk, to which I reply no.  This cycle then repeats.

Hum; it's been a while since I did my last RH install, but from the
seat of my pants, you have two possibles that are going on here.

1) Other as in 'my weird-ancient proprietary interface'.  If you've
   got an EIDE CDRW, it's not one of those.
2) Other as in 'other'.  The driver disk is most likely a *second*
   floppy you need to plug in and create before starting the install
   process.  Usually the two floppies are called 'boot' and 'root' in
   the documentation and can be found in, um, ....

   Hum, my RH 6.2 mirror doesn't have a root image file.  Now there's
   news to me.

Before I babble more, how did you get to the install process?  Since
at least RH 6.0, you have been able to drop the RH cdrom that you're
about to install from into your cd, power up, and burn the system in.
YMMV if your bios isn't recognizing your boot order as 'floppy, cd,
disk'.

Or it could be one of the many pleasant features of a RH x.0 release
that you're running into.  Check the 'important updates' section on
the RH site and see if it says anything clever about a new boot disk
or troubles during install.

David