my crashing box

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Wed, 07 Feb 2001 19:30:52 +0000

"Steven M. Klass" wrote:

> Linux is designed to use your computer to the fullest extent possible.  I
> found this out by having a problem compiling the kernel, I kept getting
> this strange code *ap++=0x55.  This of course means NOTHING to me, but a
> quick search on google indicated this was a memory problem.  Sure enough I
> changed out the memory with some quality crucial memory, and viola it
> worked great.  The real point was I never saw any error running the same
> system for a little over a year with Windows loaded on it !!

Oh, I'd be willing to bet you ran into the error at random intervals
with Winblows, but in such an unpredictable and unrepeatable (that is
the nature of the MSOS) manner that you never labeled it as such...

Linux doesnt find the faults in a hardware setup so much so as it acts
consistantly. Indeed, if theres an OS thats more prone than any other
to overheat a CPU, its Winblows, which doesnt even issue HLTs to idle
the CPU (rather, when nothing is going on, it executes an infinite
loop as quickly as it can...)

Linux is generally better able to utilize memory bandwidth than
windows, I agree.
--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|