CD RW recommendation

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:11:40 -0700

\_ Hi:
\_
\_ I was thinking of upgrading my generic beige cd drive to a cd rw.  What
\_ recommendations are there for brand name and so on?  Currently I'm on
\_ Red Hat 6.2.

Read the cr-burning (cd-writing?) howto; I believe it has links to
supported drive lists on the web.  Basically, I think most of the
newer drives use atapi and can be loaded/controlled through ide-scsi
spoofing.  Depending on your need, you may want one that supports
"over burning" or some such for the extended (80 min?) cds.

My personal belief is that anything past 4x write is just waste.  How
often do you want a cd faster than 15 minutes from start?  Lousy
instant gratification society.

David