booting a cloned disk

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:54:28 -0700 (MST)

Am 05. Feb, 2001 schwäzte Larry Schmid so:

> There are a couple of parameters to add to the lilo.conf for the clone/target
> disk to be recognized as /dev/hda, and installing it is easier with chroot.
> Here's how I install lilo on LFS disks that I build.
>
> The target disk is /dev/hdb.  I mount the root partition on $LFS (/mnt/lfs).
>
> This is how my $LFS/etc/lilo.conf file looks:
>
> boot=/dev/hdb  		#This will write to the MBR of the target
> install=/boot/boot.b	#$LFS/boot
> disk=/dev/hdb		#This will cause the system bios
>         bios=0x80		# to recognize the drive as hda
> prompt
> timeout=50
> linear
> default=lfs
>
> image=/boot/lfskernel	#$LFS/boot
>         label=lfs
>         root=/dev/hda1	#hda1 at boot time
>         read-only
>
> Then I cd into $LFS, do a 'chroot $LFS bash' and then run lilo without any
> parameters.  After that, I can dismount the disk, move it into the /dev/hda
> position and it will boot normally.  After the system is up, I change the

Most cool! These are the options I've been looking for. Guess I didn't
read the lilo docs well enough :(.

> boot parameter to /dev/hda.  I also remove the disk and bios line, though I'm
> not sure that is necessary.  That part can be easily scripted in an of
> several ways before the reboot.  I'll have to add that.  :^)

Actually, I'll probably use an alternative conf file, maybe
etc/lilo.clone. It can be removed after running lilo.

most danke,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  I'm not anti-social, I'm pro-individual. - der.hans