Speaking of experience

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Mon, 05 Feb 2001 05:59:28 -0700

I concur with the others.  (So why am I posting?)  Solaris experience
is invaluable.  Until my current gig, my only Solaris experience was
in setting up Solaris on Intel - the rest was Linux.  Of course, it
helped that I had many web pages devoted to Linux networking and
Linux security.  I paid my dues working really long hours for lower
than average pay, then I upgraded to my current job, which pays
twice as much as before.  It is easier to get a good-paying Unix job
from an existing Unix job than from an NT job.

Solaris is $75 for the media kit.  The licenses are free.  It comes
with about 12 CDs, including Oracle 8i.  It is really slow on Intel,
compared to Linux, hence its name Slowlaris.  Once I realized Solaris
includes the tools we are familiar with in /usr/ucb, I changed my
path to put them first, and it looked like a Linux box.

Since you can pick up used SPARCs pretty cheap on e-bay as well as
others, I would go that route as you can still run Linux on them.
Start asking around.  A coworker is going to give me his old SPARC -
all I have to do is pay shipping from his co-lo facility.

If you want to hone your skills, go to this page and duplicate it
without looking at my configuration files:
http://georgetoft.com/network/index.html
Most of those machines are 486's running Linux.

Finally, a degree helps tremendously in the big companies, but that
is a large undertaking and will take a bit of time (if you don't
already have one).

George