Cant mount my cdrom after i added a 3rd hard drive

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:08:55 -0700

On Feb 2,  9:49am, kyle towle wrote:

> For some reason i am unable to mount my cdrom under
> suse linux 7.0 after i added a 3rd hard drive. My
> cdrom used to be secondary master now it is secondary
> slave the bios is updated correctly but i get errors
> when i use the command mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
> /mnt/cdrom

/dev/cdrom is a symbolic link to the actual device.  If you do
"ls -l /dev/cdrom", you'll see something like this:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Oct  9 15:43 /dev/cdrom -> hdc

I think you need to do the following (as root):

    rm -f /dev/cdrom
    ln -s hdd /dev/cdrom

Prior to doing this though, do check to make sure that /dev/hdd is acutally
your cdrom.  To do this, just put a CD in your CD drive and try

    mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom

If it mounts successfully and you're able to see the top level directory
when you do "ls -l /mnt/cdrom", you know you've found the right device.

Kevin