Intel Question

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 20:24:09 +0000

David Demland wrote:
> I have heard and read that because of the way Intel chips are setup it is
> easier to have a security problem than with a Motorola chip. This would mean
> that a firewall that is comprised of a Motorola chip is better than an Intel
> chip. This is true? The assumption here is that both are running Linux.

Yes and no.

No because a firewall probably wont be running too many
processes/programs that arent installed by admin anyways, right?

Yes, because if it IS compromised, it might...

Every intel processor since the first pentium has had one flaw or
another (NOTE: Im not sure on the status of the PPro or Xeon). Many
allow user-level processes to freeze the CPU. The only solutions to
this are microcode updates provided in updated BIOSes...

I am aware of one such lockup for a Cyrix chip, and none for the AMD
line at all, although I havent paid much attention to if the Athlon
has such a bug or not.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|