AZ students,MS office. Help me!

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:32:42 -0700

It is a *done* deal.  They did it quietly, minimizing public comment and
knowledge and have released the "pat-themselves-on-the-back" press release
now that the ASP contract has been awarded.  I assume that there would be
penalties to the state if the contract is cancelled.  I also assume that
there would be a way out of the deal of the service is not provided reliably.

All these ideas and mobilization is good.  No, great!  But, we are on the
up-hill side of getting the public schools out of the deal because the ink is
dry, as far as I know.

So, what do we do?
-Financial analysis on cost of this deal vs. open source.  Send to elected
reps and SFB.
-Research and document open source solutions that are working now
-Protest against wasted money
-Write Letters
-Educate your neighbors
-etc.

But I think we really need to do now is concentrate on creating wider,
successful examples of open source in schools.  We still have charter schools
that would love the help.  Why not help Brian there at Sequoia?  There are
some charter schools that have multiple campuses.  Hook on the campuses up on
a WAN or VPN with "old" PCs that are "too slow" and watch them be useful for
pennies per student.

If (or when?) the ASP deal turns into a pain for the system, or a disaster of
budget over-runs, we must be ready with real success examples, research and
public opinion on our side.  At the very least, the contract is up in 4 years
and if the experience was only acceptable, they might be looking around for
better ideas for less money.

Alan