Named DNS question

Patrick Fleming plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 08:00:44 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Bob Cober wrote:

I see you used the gui to put this file together, when I did that I had
problems. I decided to manually edit /etc/named.conf myself. I commented
out the section for named.ca... in Bind 8 it had all the top level DNS
servers and was used as a hint file, servers your machine would query in
the search for a machine name. In the default install of RH 7.1, this file
is blank, I have left it blank and commented the section:

zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "named.ca";
};

If you have included all of your DNS files from /var/named, I see that you
are not loading the zone VLANDDNS.zone. This does not look like a problem.
I just noticed that you have called the zone dns.vlan.sic... if your
network name is vlan.sic, then change that in named.conf to match, then
change the SOA field in dns.vlan.sic.zone to 'vlan.sic'

HTH
Patrick