Reverse name lookups

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:46:41 -0700 (MST)

Am 29. Aug, 2001 schwäzte Nathan England so:

> Okay, I will try this, but do I need to reboot the whole server, (which
> I'd rather not) or just -HUP something? Or nothign at all?

Make sure that files is before dns. No need to -HUP anything as that file is
live.

What's your /etc/hosts entry look like?

Maybe setup a zone for that particular hosts IP and serve up the reverse
yourself :).

> On 29 Aug 2001 10:14:12 -0700, Matt Alexander wrote:
> > If Linux is like Solaris, then you should be able to simply remove the
> > "dns" entry in your /etc/nsswitch.conf for the "hosts" line.  I haven't
> > tried this, but I would hope it works the same way.

Yup, same as solaris. As you noted, removing dns probably isn't a good idea
:).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  It's up to the reader to make the book interesting.