CR worm infection attempts

John (EBo) David plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 06:36:53 -0700

Jason wrote:

> Perhaps someone should write a script that examines logs and then
> automatically euthanizes any Code Red box with a full reformat. While
> this may seem harsh, keep in mind said box is currently infecting
> anything else it can - if people can lose their freedom and property
> for this "crime", then surely reformatting is a just responce to a
> device doing so, particularly if it stops said action. If a car was
> running over children in a parking lot, out of control all "Christine"
> like, no one would be too upset if someone rolled over it with a tank.
>
> Thats what backups are for, right? You did make backups didnt you?
>
> If they're using M$ products and arent making backups, they deserve
> whats coming to them anyways. Fuck 'em if they cant take a joke
> anyways LOL.

you *are* joking arn't you?  I'm no microsoft fan, but if I caugt
someone reformatting one of my machines I would sue!  On the other hand
if you find a security breach on one of my machines and you tell me
about it (and preferable how to close it) I'll buy you a beer, or
dinner, or something more appropriate.  If you want to shut someones
machine up why don't you just drop the message on every users screen
(telling them that their machine is infected with code red and it has
been atacking your machine and you have shut down their networking),
shut off the networking and force a reboot?  This is still invasive, but
it does not risk thier data. Why reformat their machine?

  EBo --