xdmcp por favor

Eric plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:57:05 -0800

I have configured my Red Hat system to act as an XDMCP server no problem.
That is because the relevant Red Hat files "matched-up" with the assumptions
of the XDMCP HOW-TO.

For instance, when the HOW-TO says to

"[m]odify /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs and make the following changes. Change all
(this is where the Font Server port): 'daemon
xfs -droppriv -daemon -port -1' to: 'daemon xfs -droppriv -daemon -port
7100'", I *am* able to do this because "daemon
xfs -droppriv -daemon -port -1" exists in the xfs file.

But I am now trying to configure another distro as an XDMCP server, and the
HOW-TO's assumptions do not apply.  I am using Corel, and I am sure you guys
are all rolling your eyes, but it *is* "based" on Debian, and it *is* Linux,
so c'mon...  We should all be thankful there is a Linux-based word processor
that equals Word.  So let's all gather 'round and assist me.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do differently to enable XDMCP?  Here is a
copy of the xfs file, just in case, so that you can see what I mean:

#!/bin/sh
# /etc/init.d/xfs: start or stop the X font server

set -e

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
DAEMON=/usr/bin/X11/xfs
PIDFILE=/var/run/xfs.pid
UPGRADEFILE=/var/run/xfs.upgrade

test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

stillrunning () {
  if [ "$DAEMON" = "$(cat /proc/$DAEMONPID/cmdline 2> /dev/null)" ]; then
    true
  else
    false
  fi;
}

case "$1" in
  start)
    echo -n "Starting X font server: xfs"
    start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pid $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON ||
echo -n " already running"
    echo "."
  ;;

  restart)
    /etc/init.d/xfs stop
    if [ -f $PIDFILE ]; then
      if stillrunning; then
        exit 1
      fi
    fi
    /etc/init.d/xfs start
  ;;

  reload)
    echo -n "Reloading X font server configuration..."
    if start-stop-daemon --stop --signal 1 --quiet --pid $PIDFILE --exec
$DAEMON; then
      echo "done."
    else
      echo "xfs not running."
    fi
  ;;

  force-reload)
    /etc/init.d/xfs reload
  ;;

  stop)
    echo -n "Stopping X font server: xfs"
    if [ ! -f $PIDFILE ]; then
      echo " not running (no $PIDFILE)."
      exit 0
    else
      DAEMONPID=$(cat $PIDFILE | tr -d '[:blank:]')
      KILLCOUNT=1
      if [ ! -e $UPGRADEFILE ]; then
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pid $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON ||
echo -n " not running"
      fi
      while [ $KILLCOUNT -le 5 ]; do
        if stillrunning; then
          kill $DAEMONPID
        else
          break
        fi
        sleep 1
        KILLCOUNT=$(expr $KILLCOUNT + 1)
      done
      if stillrunning; then
        echo -n "not responding to TERM signal (pid $DAEMONPID)"
      else
        if [ -e $UPGRADEFILE ]; then
          rm $UPGRADEFILE
        fi
      fi
    fi
    echo "."
  ;;

  *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/xfs {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload}"
    exit 1
    ;;
esac

exit 0