Redhat choosing Ext3fs for RH7.2

Nathan England plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
23 Aug 2001 22:13:21 -0700

I have a 15gb partition with ext2 and after I read that article I tried
to upgrade to ext3.  It is very painless, and seems to work flawlessly.
I myself only use reiserfs, but I thought it worth an attempt.

I have compiled 7 kernels and other stuff, while running a heavy
database on the system, and just hit the powerswitch about 9 times, and
it comes back each time.  The longest its's taken so far to read the
journal and update is (to my best sense) about .5 a second..  So it's
pretty good.  I'm not running a system like that, but it's a PIII 660E
with 384 mb ram, so it's almost close!!! but slack 8 on it, and a web
server, mysql, ldap, smb, and a few other databases... sap, a test
version of oracle, db3.  And I've been beating the hell out of it since
then.  It's working for me!!!

Still like Reiser though, but that's cuz I'm used to it, tried and true.
But in an environment where I couldn't wipe the drive and start over, or
a back up would be too much, ext3 was as easy as it gets to upgrade to.

nathan