CR worm infection attempts

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 23:42:45 +0000

George Toft wrote:
> If you are walking down the street, and see a house with the door
> open, do you walk in to see if anyone is home?  When you return, and
> see the windows broken out, and the outside spray-painted, how do you
> feel?  I think this is a similar situation - if you walk in uninvited,
> it's called "illegal entry" and you may be arrested.  Likewise, testing
> a site to see if it has been exploited is illegal as you were accessing
> their computer in an unauthorized fashion.
>
> Could you have stopped the crimes in both cases?  Maybe (if the owner
> listened to you).  Is it worth the risk to you, your reputation, and
> your family?  No.  I am not selfish - I am placing my family ahead of
> strangers, and they rely upon my income.  I suggest you do the same -
> just keep on walking, and make sure you have the safeguards of Fort
> Knox at home.

I was under the impression that its not illegal entry unless you
actually OPEN a door. That is, if you see a door and know its
unlocked, you cant enter, but if the door is open, and there is
nothing posted "No Tresspassing" or "Private Property", that entering
the building is a perfectly acceptable thing to do until you are
informed otherwise.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|