(no subject)

Curtis Zinzilieta plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:26:03 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 eric.hebert@abbott.com wrote:

> Good morning,
>
>      My question is on configuring a 3C905BTX card using dhcp. The card in the
> linux box functions fine, I can ftp, web surf and ping to any machine name
> like fred.domainname from the linux box but if I try to ping the name of the
> linux box from say a NT workstation it does not find the name
> ethel.domainname. I am running Red Hat 7.1.
>
> Can anyone suggest what the problem is here?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Eric Hebert

While not having personally tried it, I believe that the dhcp server from
the ISC (at least the new version 3, currently in very stable beta), will
allow for an update to your local name server when it hands out an ip
address.  Assuming you're running a local nameserver, of course.

HTH,

-Curtis

Curtis Zinzilieta                    office: curtis@valinux.com
Professional Services Engineer       mobile: 928.606.5753
VA Linux Systems                   personal: clz@sw.incantations.com