Qwest, Windows ME, and Debian Linux

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 19:09:14 -0700 (PDT)

If the Intel DSL card runs under Linux then you could put it in your Linux box
and then add a second network card and run a cable from the second NIC to your
mom's box.  You'd have to setup your Linux box as a router and do Network
Address Translation so your mom's box can access the Internet through your
box.  If you're really interested in learning more about Linux and networking,
this would be a good project, but there's going to be a relatively steep
learning curve for awhile if you're new to Linux/networking.
Another option would be to get an external DSL modem and plug it into a hub,
from which you could plug in all your other computers (I'm assuming your DSL
provider is using DHCP and that you can get multiple IP addresses by simply
plugging in to the hub).  HOWEVER, it'd be more secure if you could put some
sort of firewall in between the DSL modem and your systems.  You could setup
an old computer to serve just this function (again, another great learning
opportunity) or you could buy a dedicated firewall/router from Netgear,
Sonicwall (the SOHO2 rocks!), or Linksys.
~M