Network Engineer

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 15:54:13 -0700 (MST)

Am 19. Aug, 2001 schwäzte George Toft so:

> Admin Wanted:
> Certified Sun System Admin, MCSE, CCNE, CNE.  Requires 5 years
> experience in Windows 2000, Solaris 8, HPUX 11.0, Novell 5, Cisco
> Local Director, TCP/IP, PPOE, DNS, SMB.  Will be responsible for 50
> server production farm.  40 hours/week plus carry pager 24/7.  Pay
> $35-40K/year DOE.

That's pretty damned low. I'm pretty certain state jobs pay better than
that.

If doing production support that requires carrying a pager, get them to pay
extra for it. Personally, I suggest at least $500/month that it needs to be
carried. Make that completely separate from base pay. Then they can see
exactly what it's costing them to have someone carry a pager. Encourages
companies to not just demand everyone have one.

I ignore ads shooting this low in pay. I should make more than sky cabs.
Starting salaries for engineers are greater than $50k. sys_adm and coding
should be engineering disciplines. Some of the jobs might just be tech jobs,
e.g. tape monkey, but techs shouldn't need pagers off-hours.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans