Consumer grade e-mail hosting options?

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:56:02 -0700

"Digital Wokan" <wokan@home.com> wrote:

> You might be able to do something using fetchmail and Yahoo webmail
> accounts.  (They offer pop access.)  You could filter the messages on
> receipt.

Good point, and I'd considered that. I am a bit leery of free providers due
to reliability (experience with iname) and I do hate to abuse their services
too badly. I've gone through my list accumulated over the years, and amazing
numbers have dropped away. That's a good interim approach though, and I may
go that route.

In poking around, it looks like a number of hosting outfits offer an alias
capability where *\.mydomain.com could go to one common account. That
actually might be adequate, as I already use procmail to sort based on To:
or From:. Anything else is probably spam anyhow. So I'm hoping there's a
Linux-friendly, reliable hosting outfit out there... that's VERY cheap. This
would let me sleep at night, contribute (minimally :) to the Internet
economy, and maybe even support a Linux-based outfit.

Uh-oh. I'm going legit! Aieee!

- Bob