Consumer grade e-mail hosting options?

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:37:01 -0700

Well, @Home has finally pulled the plug, and my little guerilla SMTP server
is no longer reachable from the world at large. It's something I've expected
for years, but I'm disappointed. Anyhow, I'm now trying to find viable
alternatives for e-mail for my family, while still allowing myself to keep
spam under control.

I want to be able to set up various aliases (i.e. newsaccount@mydomain.com,
disposableaccount@mydomain.com, plug@mydomian.com) for different lists, as
well as for each family member. I had this working perfectly with fetchmail,
procmail and postfix to sort and file mail for access via IMAP, but now it
seems I need to do something similar elsewhere.

What I think I'm looking for is a very inexpensive pop3 account hosting. I'd
like to register mydomain.com, and be able to manage a number of accounts
under that domain. Probably 10-20 maximum, but it is nice to have
flexibility. Hopefully it won't be a pay-per-account as I really don't know
what accounts I'll want yet. I would then be able to poll these via
fetchmail from my Linux mail server and still do all my sorting and
filtering there.

Many web hosting services seem to provide a handful of accounts, but I'm
hoping for something more flexible, if not mail-centric.

Any tips or ideas appreciated. It's not a panic situation yet, but I hate to

- Bob