Speakeasy

John Starta plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 09:20:41 -0700

Nathan,

I was just moved from the Los Angeles POP (LAX) to the Denver POP (DEN). I
fought with Speakeasy for nearly a week regarding the ramifications a move
would have on my first-hop latency and thus overall performance. After
explaining the basic principles of physics and sharing my prior experiences
with them they finally (probably out of frustration) told me that I had no
choice because the Los Angeles POP was being decommissioned. Needless to
say my first-hop latency went from 25 ms (LAX) to 140 ms (DEN)! I'm not
pleased at all.

Assuming you're located in AZ, I would push back. Being homed to the Denver
POP is bad enough, I fail to see how homing your DSL circuit to a POP 1510
miles away (Seattle) fit within the 'local'. Having been homed in the
Seattle POP before, I don't think you'll like it.

jas