KDE 2.2

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:23:49 -0700

On Wednesday 15 August 2001 04:25 pm, Matt Alexander wrote:
> I upgraded to KDE 2.2 on a RedHat 7.1 system, and it wasn't fun.  Here's my
> advice:  Download every stinkin' .rpm that is listed (even the "add-ons")
> for your platform.  Then run this command:
>
> for file in *rpm; do rpm -U --nodeps $file; done
>
> If you actually try to workout all the dependencies in their correct order,
> you'll go insane.

Yes, pretty much every part of the binary packaging situation is a pain in
the ass :-(

All binary packages released "by KDE" are really created and released by the
vendors themself.  For instance, the RedHat RPMs are created by RedHat, the
SuSE ones by SuSE, etc.  You would *think* that this would guarantee that
upgrading would be painless.. but you would be wrong.

RedHat is always the worst offender.  The RPMs are usually built assuming
that you are running the cutting-edge everything (rawhide?).  If you are
running a release older than that, then good luck!

Mandrake and SuSE usually are the best.. but they have their moments.
Mandrake's moment was for the 2.1.1 release when they made you download and
install an entirely new X server.  Yikes!  SuSE's moment is now... the SuSE
RPMs have https (secure web browsing) disabled unless you are running 7.2.
Grrr.

Ironically (if you know a bit of history, here), the most problem free
upgrade to KDE 2.2 seems to be for the Debian folk!

You have no idea how many times we wish we shipped *ONLY* source packages.
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop