KDE 2.2

Matt Alexander plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 23:25:40 +0000

I've been playing around with KDE 2.2 today and I strongly recommend checking it
out.  Konqueror looks to be quite a kick-ass browser now, with Javascript and HTML
working correctly (ie. They made Konqueror work well with broken/ugly HTML code)
on all the sites I've tested it with so far.  There's also a nice feature that
allows you to turn on Javascript on a site-by-site basis (as well as cookies).
You can also choose to disable the Javascript popup function.  Another cool
feature is that it allows you to change your UserAgent on a site-by-site basis.
So, for example, if you try visiting http://www.shockwave.com on a non-Windows
platform, you'll get a frustrating "We don't serve your kind here" message.  But I
changed my UserAgent for that site and now I can get in without any problems.
There are lots of other nice perks, as well.  Oh, and KMail now supports IMAP.

I upgraded to KDE 2.2 on a RedHat 7.1 system, and it wasn't fun.  Here's my
advice:  Download every stinkin' .rpm that is listed (even the "add-ons") for your
platform.  Then run this command:

for file in *rpm; do rpm -U --nodeps $file; done

If you actually try to workout all the dependencies in their correct order, you'll
go insane.
Anyway, check it out.  KDE is really looking nice now.
~M