Best CD drive for ripping audio?

KevinO plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 01:40:48 -0700

"Shawn T. Rutledge" wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 11:42:44PM -0700, KevinO wrote:
> > > What's the best drive for this?
> > >
> > > I use cdparanoia and I think the fastest I've ever seen was 1.4x, once,
> > > momentarily on a clean disc.  Typically it's less than 1x.
> >
> > I have been using a Yamaha Lightspeed 16-10-40 and w/ cdparanoia I get
> > about 3x or 4x using a P!!! 800EB w/ 512MB and Mandrake 7.2.
>
> Well that's a little more tolerable.  Do you think CPU speed makes
> a lot of difference?  I figure cdparanoia isn't doing a lot of work
> unless the disc has a lot of errors, right?

I just ran a very non-scientific test.

I ripped two tracks off of Cheech & Chong's Greatest Hit CD. I used my
CDR backup disk since this is what I had handy.

Track 2 is 3:59 and was completed in 46 seconds (including the time it
took for the Yamaha to spin up)
Track 3 is 4:02 and was completed in 42 seconds

I ran top and kept an eye on it as I ripped. Cdparanoia seemed to get 10
to 15 percent cpu utilization during the rip. The CD I used is in very
good (clean) condition.

I suspect that processor power can make a difference here - especially
if you are encoding as you rip as I often do. The drive is definitly the
limiting factor on this system tho...
--
Kevin O'Connor

She can kill all your files;
She can freeze with a frown.
And a wave of her hand brings the whole system down.
And she works on her code until ten after three.
She lives like a bat but she's always a hacker to me.
                -- Apologies to Billy Joel