CR worm infection attempts

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:10:44 -0500 (CDT)

That is the problem.

I looked at my logs out of curiosity.  I was AMAZED at the figured.  I
took the first IP and hit it and checked for the root.exe exploit.  Sure
enough it was WIDE open.

Now I had a DILEMMA on my hands.  Do I notify this company or not?  I had
no malicous intent nor did I do anything.  The 'good' in me wanted to
notify them so that they were not 'toasted' by one will 'ill' intent.

HOWEVER, I feared lawsuit, death and dismemberment.  So I said not a word.
I looked at thier website about 4 hours later and they were defaced. :(

What kind of a world is it?  I mean if I was walking down the street with
my fly open, I would hope to God someone would tell me.  However, I
suppose even in that case you should be careful.  I mean after all,
noftifying someone that thier fly was open, means you were looking at
thier crotch.  If you were looking at their crotch you must have been
wanting to rape them or harass them.

Where does the silliness stop?

-Derek