ARTICLE: The Death of TCP/IP(Why the Age of Internet Innocence is Over)

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 06 Aug 2001 21:21:41 -0700

I finally got time to read this, and it's a scary story indeed.  It sounds like Bill Gates has been studying Machiavelli.  It's very
similar to my personal paranoid theory about the rampant abuse of Social Security Numbers.   As some security expert (I wish I could
remember who) pointed out, SSN's are routinely used for both identification and authentication, a totally unworkable system.  Business
and government agencies routinely demand the dreaded numbers, and yet they seem to be totally incapable of preventing the widespread
occurence of identity theft.  When the situtation becomes bad enough, they'll demand biometrics from everyone-- fingerprints, retinal
scans, etc.   They won't just be using those little inkpads, like the banks; they'll be storing them all digitally in the FBI's
searchable database.  And it's "Hello, Big Brother!"

Vaughn Treude
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development